I started a blog a little while ago on tumblr, fernwritesthings.tumblr.com, but I'm also going to start blogging on my website!
I might still use my tumblr, but I think this is going to become my primary blog for the time being.
I'm not entirely sure what to write, so I think I'll just tell you a few facts myself and my music :)
- The first instrument I learned to play was piano. I took lessons for about 2 years when I was 8, before realising that it wasn't really 'my thing'. I can still play a little bit, but wouldn't call myself a pianist!
- The first instrument I owned, however, was a tiny nylon strung acoustic guitar. My Dad is an amazing guitarist and used to try and teach me to play when I was very young. I never really took it seriously till I was older, but I'm sure some of the tips younger me was taught helped me pick it up again so quickly when I got older.
- The first time I played my songs to people (besides my parents) was in 2011 at Cambridge Folk Festival!
My family had decided to go to CFF, and I had my guitar with me so I could play in our tent. We discovered a great folk tent one night on our campsite, running open mic style slots. My Dad convinced me to sign up as I had my guitar anyway. It was great! I remember being very nervous, but the folk club who ran it (The Milkmaid in Bury St Edmunds) asked me to go along to their club. I became their resident artist for about a year!
- I tried learning clarinet and saxophone when I was in school, but I just can't get on with woodwind instruments at all!
- There are lots of bands and artists who inspire me, and they're quite an eclectic bunch!
- My 5 main inspirations are Laura Marling, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, and Neil Young, and The Staves. I was a bit of a 'theatre kid' growing up, so I've always listened to lots of musical soundtracks which I'm sure have also had an effect.
- Over 2013 and 2014 I played more than 200 gigs!
- I studied performing arts at college, and really enjoy acting and dancing as well as singing.
- I'd love to do more theatre work one day, but at the moment I'm very happy just doing my music :)
- This year I'm trying really hard to gig in new places. The Suffolk music scene is AMAZING, but I really want to explore the rest of the country.
- I'm also going to write more this year, cause I have much more time on my hands than I did in 2014!
- I started my youtube channel in 2011, but stopped posting videos after the first few months to focus on my GCSE's.
- I've recently got back into it, and am now trying to post a new video every week! Please check it out, and subscribe if you like what you see: www.youtube.com/user/PurpleCanaryx
Let me know if you liked this post! I will try to keep my blog updated as much as possible :)
Thanks for reading,